On the dark great sea

"In the haunted house of life, art is the only stair that doesn't creak."

Thursday, September 29, 2005

The Fairest of the Seasons

It was overcast when I woke up this morning; in my apartment, with the shades drawn and the lights off, it looked almost dark. I might have overslept, had I had anything today to sleep through. I think it was just past 11:00 when I stumbled out of bed. Normally that would bother me, but I have just the one day off each week, and I was up late.

My sleep has been fitful this past week or more. I keep having dreams that are less dreams than old memories pasted together into a kind of subconscious collage. Events that took place years apart are combining into single moments. Friends are being mixed and matched; this person is actually that person, that person is three people. It’s as if my dreams are trying to reduce my entire past into one all-encompassing memory. I wonder what it’ll be.

It was grey outside, so I put on a jacket and walked around for a while. I like it when it’s grey out. I bought a hot chocolate from a coffee house, and smelled incense and candles in a store downtown. It was windy, which I notice more these days, with my hair grown out. The cold was the kind of cold that you only really feel in your cheeks. Just cold enough.

I go walking each fall, the first cold day, and each spring, the first warm one. In Missouri, summer and winter are brutal, sickening things, but spring and fall are beautiful. I go walking when the seasons change to remind me of how much I really do love it here. Columbia is a good place. It has its faults, but it is good place even still.

Sometimes when I walk, or when I go running, I find myself moving on autopilot. All the noise and clutter in my head quiets down, and it’s just me and my feet and the ground beneath them. This is how I meditate, by moving.

It was dark when I came home again. As I approached my building, I thought of maybe writing about it. About darkness and being afraid. It was my idea for an introduction to a piece I’ve wanted to do about spirituality, about faith and religion and being afraid of the dark. But that seems like such a big, imposing subject, and tonight I don’t feel up to it. Tonight I feel quiet, like I just came back from a long walk. I feel very quiet and very still. It’s peaceful. I needed the relaxation. I love days like this.

It’s cold outside. The seasons are changing like they always do. This is probably my last autumn here, but I’m ready for it.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:16 PM , Blogger Lauren said...

    I love autumn in the midwest. I love the cider and colored leaves, and the way the wind finally blows away the chill of winter.
    I'm homesick for long walks in the chilly afternoons. I wish I weren't missing autumn entirely this year. It makes me a little sad.

     
  • At 12:17 PM , Blogger Lauren said...

    I wish I had an edit function... make the chill of winter into the heat of summer, please, and we can forget that I need to think before I click...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home